As much as I praised the 2000s in terms of anime, it doesn’t mean there weren’t a few terrible series along the way. Just to remind you guys, this is purely my opinion, so don’t get offended if I put your favorite series on this list. Here is my list of the top 5 worst animes of this decade.
5. Soul Eater- The entire reason this one is on the list is because of the second half of the show. The fist half is still entertaining and fun, but the second half just sucks the life out of this series. To this day I have no idea what in the world Bones was thinking when writing the second half of the show. Why in the world would you turn every single character into a whining little prick who just mopes around every episode? Where is the sense of fun? This is what happens when you completely ignore why your series is successful in the first place and try to deviate too far away from it. There’s nothing wrong with experimentation, but it has to make sense in the context of the show you have created. Bones is a great animation company, so hopefully they learn from their mistakes and do better on their next show.
4. Samurai X: Reflections- How did a Rurouni Kenshin spinoff end up on this list? Because it took one of the best shonen mangas of the 1990s and made it into one of the most unnecessarily depressing animes in recent memory. The happy ending established in the manga story is completely ignored for something that is supposed to be “deep”, but just comes off as forced beyond all belief. There is literally no reason for Kenshin to do anything he does in this OVA, as it completely ignores everything his character stands for all in the name of making a depressing ending to an otherwise happy and entertaining anime series. Nobody else fares any better, with characterizations that range from non-existent to completely inaccurate given their histories. This is why sometimes it is just better to leave a series alone rather than revive it. Only revive something when you have a good idea and when you know you can execute it properly. Unfortunately, the makers of this OVA didn’t take this advice.
3. To Love-Ru- This show treats its audience like complete morons, simply put. It’s another harem comedy involving aliens, and it is one of the laziest animes I have seen in a very long time. It is so content with its own badness, it never once tries to do anything remotely original. I can’t say anything about the characters, since they’re so one note it would be futile to describe them. They’re not so much characters as they are just paper cut out archetypes. The writing is not only bad, but just lazy every single episode, and always settles on the lowest common denominator for every single joke it tries to tell. It’s so one-dimensional its almost embarrassing to even attempt to write about. There is no reason to ever bother watching this series since if you’re looking for cheap sex, the internet exists for a reason. Do me a favor, don’t encourage this kind of tripe to reproduce into the future.
2. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion- I have never seen an anime so consistently shoot itself in the foot. I fist heard this show described as an action show about the nature of terrorism and how the lines between diplomacy and violence is often blurred. I’m still waiting to see that show! What we got instead is one of the most confused, overdramatic, and ridiculous animes to come out in a very, very long time. Whether it is characters that are completely oblivious to anything that happens within five feet of them, robot battles that are so generic they put me to sleep, and a storyline that would make All My Children blush. I can’t decide which is more ridiculous, a culture festival episode following one about an mass genocide, or girls fighting about who will take Lelouch in a show about TERRORISM. The entire thing is ludicrious beyond belief, butchers what could have been one of the most interesting stories ever produced in anime, and is one of the worst animes I have ever seen. God, the more I think about this series the more I loathe it.
1. He is My Master- This is the low point of all anime. There’s really no other way to describe this disaster. Not only does this show make the huge mistake of confusing boob shots with jokes, it also doesn’t even bother to actually attempt to write legitimate jokes. Literally everything here is a boob/bra/butt joke waiting to happen, all done with 14 year old girls running around in “sexy” French maid outfits. Yeah, not only is this not funny in any way, its also incredibly tasteless. All of the characters are either complete morons or douchebags, there is not a single joke that is actually funny, the animation is lazy and messy, the entire thing just reeks of pedophelia, and just thinking about this drek makes me want to take a shower. Whoever thought this would make a good series needs to never work in anime ever again. He clearly has no idea what taste or entertainment is. This is a prime example of why I have so little faith in anime comedies. Just attempt to watch one single episode of this series without turning it off in disgust, I can almost guarantee it won’t happen.
I certainly hope I don’t have to relive any of these series in the future, and here’s hoping people learn from their mistakes.