If it's crap ... We'll tell you
Last friday Cartoon Network showed the one hour series premire of ThunderCats.
Now for you people who don't know what Thundercats is.....go read wikipedia first. :D
This show is a revamp of the classic 80's sci-fi cartoon by the same name...
However there are some majors changes from the original the obvious one is the change in character design and art style. That and the animation for the Thundercats has been sent over to the japanese studio who did TeenTitans.
In my opinion most of the designs are an improvement, maybe with the exception of Panthro's. Mainly because the outfits have been modernized and the cats themselves are given a more feline apperence. As for the animation itself it was a nice change from the noodle arms of Adventure Time or the bright colors of The Problem Solverz. It had a nice flowy, realistic quality to it and a western style that made me forget that this show is basically now an anime (japanese animated cartoon).
Now for the story....oh boy....
First off the story got a major overhall and seems to very loosely follows plot points and continuity from the first series, but this new series sees multiple changes to the continuity.
1) Lion-O and Tigra are "brothers" (Tigra is adopted and is a snotty ass to boot in the preview, here's hopping that improves.)
2) Thundera seems to only bee a walled city, not the entire planet like before.
3) Panthro is so far NOT in the main group of characters and is actually never seen (exept for one seen but it was mumm-ra).
4) Technology is viewed as a myth for the cats.
5) NO MUTINTS! Yes the quarky animal based foes from Plundar actually are not in the new series as of yet. The only villians that we see in the primire is Slythe as a general of a lizard army.
6) A new race of beings known only as the lizards serve as the rival and enemy race to the thundercats.
7) Last but not least there are more Thundercats than ever before.
Continuity aside the main story wasn't that much different than that of another recent show on Cartoon Network, Symbiotic-Titan, where the civilization has been taken over by an invading force with help from a trecherous general, the king dies, and the new leader must leave to survive and learn to lead so they can eventually come back and defeat the invading force and reclaim the throne.
The wrighting itself however made this already told story interesting and watchable. The dialoge was good to the point of surpassing the original, and the pacing of the show was excelent. All in all a great job done by the wrighting department.
Thundercats 2011 proved so far to be a decent rehash of the original with various improvements made here and there. It's a great nastalgia piece for anyone who grew up with the show and a great starting point for new viewers. Not only that, but it's so far possibly the most epic story on Cartoon Network now. So go and watch it!
Rating: 8.5/ 10