Well folks, The 66th Golden Globes have just ended so I've decided to say my piece on the nominees and winners of the awards. Before I go on however I would like to note that this will only be my opinion on the awards that were handed out to films, not television shows. So let's get started!
Best Supporting Actress
* Kate Winslet - The Reader
* Amy Adams - Doubt
* Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
* Viola Davis - Doubt
* Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
Winner: Kate Winslet - The Reader
Now folks I have to be fair here, I did not see The Reader so i cant judge Kate Winslet's performance, but I will say that out of all the films I've seen in this category I personally think Marisa Tomei should've won for The Wrestler.
Best Supporting Actor
* Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
* Tom Cruise - Tropic Thunder
* Robert Downey, Jr. - Tropic Thunder
* Ralph Fiennes - The Duchess
* Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Winner: Heat Ledger - The Dark Knight
THE OBVIOUS ONE WINS! Come on, everyone knew it would be Ledger. The big question is why the hell did they nominate Tom Cruise for Tropic Thunder? Hell if you're going to do that why not nominate Clint Howard in Frost/Nixon?
* Slumdog Millionaire - Simon Beaufoy
* Frost/Nixon - Peter Morgan
* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Eric Roth
* Doubt - John Patrick Shanley
* The Reader - David Hare
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire - Simon Beaufoy
I can live with this award going to Slumdog Millionaire, However I think Frost/Nixon had a much better screenplay. Frost/Nixon just had more interesting ideas going on and it had much better dialog in my opinion. Plus what other movie would get you to think about an interview as a boxing match? Slumdog's alright it just wasn't the best choice in my opinion.
Best Original Song
* "The Wrestler" - The Wrestler
* "I Thought I Lost You" - Bolt
* "Once in a Lifetime" - Cadillac Records
* "Gran Torino" - Gran Torino
* "Down to Earth" - WALL-E
Winner: "The Wrestler" - The Wrestler
For whatever reason wikipedia (the source for all information) isn't listing the people who wrote and performed the songs but incase you didn't know it was Bruce Springstein who wrote and sang the song that ended up winning. I can live with that and hell it's a good song.
Best Original Score
* Slumdog Millionaire - A. R. Rahman
* Changeling - Clint Eastwood
* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat
* Defiance - James Newton Howard
* Frost/Nixon - Hans Zimmer
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire - A. R. Rahman
Ok... I don't really give a crap so we'll go with that.
Best Foreign Language Film
* Waltz with Bashir (Vals im Bashir) • Israel
* The Baader Meinhof Complex (Der Baader Meinhof Komplex) • Germany
* Everlasting Moments (Maria Larssons eviga ögonblick) • Sweden
* Gomorrah (Gomorra) • Italy
* I've Loved You So Long (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime) • France
Winner: Waltz with Bashir (Vals im Bashir)
Let's just say the obvious, WHERE THE HELL WAS LET THE RIGHT ONE IN!? Now that I've gotten that out of the way I can say that Waltz with Bashir looks like an interesting movie. Other then that I have never heard of any of the other films nominated for this award.
* Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
* Stephen Daldry - The Reader
* David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
* Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
* Sam Mendes - Revolutionary Road
Winner: Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
Two directors here I felt were left out and could have easily replaced Fincher, those being Darren Aronofsky and Christopher Nolan. But with who was nominated I believe that Danny Boyle was the best one out of that group.
Best Animated Film
* Kung Fu Panda
Probably the most obvious award of the night, they should probably just rename the "Best Animated Film" award the "Watch As We Kiss Pixar's Ass" award.
Best Actress - Musical or Comedy
* Sally Hawkins - Happy-Go-Lucky
* Rebecca Hall - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
* Frances McDormand - Burn After Reading
* Meryl Streep - Mamma Mia!
* Emma Thompson - Last Chance Harvey
Winner: Sally Hawkins - Happy-Go-Lucky
Look it was either her or Meryl Streep, did you want anyone to win anything for Mamma Mia!? I didn't think so.
Best Actress - Drama
* Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
* Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
* Angelina Jolie - Changeling
* Meryl Streep - Doubt
* Kristin Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime)
Winner: Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Look, Meryl Streep should've won this award but they felt if they gave the award to Kate Winslet she would go crazy and strip naked on stage. Sadly she didn't so I will now go ahead and say that Meryl Streep was robbed.
Best Actor - Musical or Comedy
* Colin Farrell - In Bruges
* Javier Bardem - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
* James Franco - Pineapple Express
* Brendan Gleeson - In Bruges
* Dustin Hoffman - Last Chance Harvey
Winner: Colin Farrell - In Bruges
I mostly agree, but now I am curious if Chigruh can sing or be funny due to him getting nominated for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
Best Actor - Drama
* Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
* Leonardo DiCaprio - Revolutionary Road
* Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
* Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
* Sean Penn - Milk
Winner: Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
I totally agree here, Rourke gave the best performance this year. Out of all the actors nominated he was the best, yes even better than Langella in my opinion. However that being said I probably would've nominated Brolin for W. instead of Brad Pitt, but that's just me and I love Josh Brolin as an actor.
Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
* Vicky Cristina Barcelona
* Burn After Reading
* In Bruges
* Mamma Mia!
Winner: Vicky Cristina Barcelona
WHY THE HELL WAS MAMMA MIA! NOMINATED?! I can think of a couple movies that should've been nominated instead of it, like Repo! The Genetic Opera or Role Models. Other than that though, I haven't seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona so I can't really comment on whether or not it should've won.
Best Motion Picture - Drama
* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
* The Reader
* Revolutionary Road
* Slumdog Millionaire
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire
Now here's where I'm going to get a lot of flack from any spill member who reads this, I don't think this was the right choice. Out of all the nominees for this award I think Frost/Nixon was the best movie nominated. To be fair, I liked Slumdog Millionaire but I still think it was just an ok movie at best. Frost/Nixon was a movie I thought was better on all fronts and had more meat to it, but I don't hand out these awards. So be glad Slumdog, you won the globe but soon the oscars will come and it may not be so easy.
Why the hell do I say that? Because if there was one problem with this award show it was the nominees. I'll just say this, where the hell was The Dark Knight? That isn't even my favorite movie of the year but still it should be noted that The Dark Knight deserved to get nominated more than Benjamin Button. Another film that deserved to get nominated more was The Wrestler, a film which won two of the three awards it was nominated for but didn't get recognized for best director or best picture. The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year yet the golden globes felt it wasn't as good as Revolutionary Road?! WHAT THE HELL?!
Now since all of this is said and done, it's still the golden globes, and as such it's still one of the useless award shows of the year. Well actually, all of the award shows are pretty damn useless, but the golden globes just have a stench about them that screams "I'm not important!" I mean, when you have the emmys and the oscars why do you need an award show that honors television AND movies? Well that's just my view.
Anyway I'd like to thank you for reading my nonsensical dribble, and if you enjoyed it let me know. If you didn't enjoy it, I'm sorry I wasted your time but I just felt I had to comment on what just happened. See you all after the oscars!