Aw, Disney. Without them, some animated films won't excisted.
Well, with a review of some of their recent movies that aren't majour suck fest (I'm advoiding Bedtime Stories with my life), I'll start with a review of Bolt.
SPOILERS AHEAD! DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YA!
For the plot, rating and other things you need to know about the movie before I start listing the good, bad and rating(MPPA rating) here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_(movie)
First, I'll start with the positives, because, negatives are always the most interesting part of review.
1.Well, the sound was well done. The sound desgin, the music, and the voice acting(yes, this counts Miely Cryus too. While I find her ok, the fame she gets is undeserving, and around 2015 she'll be ready for it).
2.Minus what I listed in the negatives, the plot was soild, oringal, and worth watching.
3. Most of the characters got a personality and are interesting, and not the least bit annoying
4. The humour was pretty funny.
5. No romance chiches.
And, I can go on and on, but I won't. So in short, I like pretty much everything about the film expect for the things listed in the negative section, though not that strong, and make a film as crappy as some CGI animated films *coughmeltdowncough*
1. For one thing, it stole an idea from the very first CGI animated film ever made, Toy story. Though, being one of the only few people that found the first film overrated(The second movie and the spin-off series was great, but the first movie is just ok), I found this film handled the 'I belive I'm from a popular show that I found real, and someone that's somewhat sillam bases as me that won't be found out until later is trying to snap me out of it and I won't listen to them until something comes up that knocks into my senses' better than the one that started the idea.
He didn't found near the end by a commerical, and he doesn't spend the rest of the movie angsting and/or goes drunk crazy because of this. And the same bases thing was played out somewhat shocking and isn't told up front that they are from it. And one of the guys from Pixar helped with this film, so that explains a lot.
2. The animation. Now, I more leanant towards 2D animation, so I often see CGI animation as really stale, unmoving, not-that quiet realistic and just adverage and lower. Now, don't me wrong, there are films that used CGI animation that have fantastic animation. Wall-E was so realistic, beauthiful and breathtaking. The tale of Despereaux was so well detailed and gothic looking to fit most of the film's tale. That's about it. I love the animation on Bolt(espially as a puppy.), but that's all I can say that I find great in the animation. Though, I more focus on plot, and see other bits as to enhance the greatness of it.
3. Penny's Agent. Dear god, this guy's annoying as hell mutiply by a million High school musical scores and 4sux dubs. He only wants to make a quick buck and squeeze every last drop from every cash cow he comes across and pulls out 'a pin' every time he hears shit he doesn't want to hear. Other than the line that mentions he pretends that a baseball glove was a bike(only because of that image that he failed school due to riding a baseball glove to school and nonthing else, making himself late) gave me a slight chuckle, he's very unentertaining and put there to put moar tention between Penny and Bolt.
3. Rhino's lack of developement. He just stays a rabid fanboy spoof thoughout the entire film until the end. He's not annoying, it was kinda disipointing, espially since all the other characters, excluding agent from hell, was well develope dispite lack of screentime on a few. He gave a good moveitational speech to Bolt, excluding the last line, was great, he's more of those dime-of-dozen characters Disney put in there just to keep less depressed kids.
4. Some of the parts of the movie was just laughable. Not when it was meant to, but kinda of in the 'what the hell just happened' B-movie moments. For starters, when we get to the '5 years later' thing, it's JUST LIKE THE TRAILER SKIPS AND ALL.
Next, they said that there target audience for the show Bolt was in was 18-35. Now, I know the movie's rated PG in the states(G where I'm from *Canada*), but if they want the target audience met, won't they make it more Kill Bill-ish or South Park style or stuff at Adult Swim kinda shows, but less graphic then they really are?
And the first group of pigions we meet kept me thinking they're the 'CGI verison of the pigions from the Animaniacs'. I don't why, maybe it's the color sceame, or at least one of the voice actors did a pigion from both this movie and Animaniacs(it's a long time since I saw the animaniacs),I don't know why, they just do.
And they keep calling Calico 'the green eye man'. Aren't dogs colorblind? I know the cats said that to him at the beginning of the film, but I think the only color they see is red, black and white.
And don't forgot the montage scene, just to name a few.
6. The fact that no one died in this. I feel kinda empty with the ending. The best way we could tell that Disney is going to the epicness of the 90s is they at least off one character in the film. Penny would be an interesting choice if you hate the voice actoress so much you will buterally hunt down and kill her literally and won't regreat it, costing your future in the process. Or Bolt, as a life sacrifice of saving Penny gave his life in the process, making a bit more realistic(seriously, it'll be a mircale for someone to survive that much smoke inhalitation without a mask a doctor gave). Or Riho when holding that pillar with his plastic ball, cracking from the weight, though it'll be claimed they rip off the scene from Wall-E.
Over all: I enjoyed the movie, dispite it's flaws, because they put a lot of effort with this peice, and it shows.
final notes.: If you advoided this film because of Miley Montana, don't worry, her character's not in it much, only in the beginning, a scene or two in the middle and in the end. And it could be worse, they'll have the cast of HSM francise do all the voices instead of the cast we have now.
As for no 'adult' humor, well as long as you don't take lines like this "I'll go get my ball" in the wrong, exculd the 'dog butt' sniffing scequence, and don't think because of Riho's obsessed with a male dog that he's ... *cough*, then yes, nonthing risky in this picture.
Final score: 8/10
Spill rating: Full price.