I didn’t seen “The Dark Knight” yet because they wont show it in Poland till eight day, of the next month (we have to make place for our own and European movies, you know). I don’t know will it top Burtons films, but do some discussion I had lately, I just want to point out why I prefer Burtons Batman film over Batman Begins, which I didn’t enjoy as much.
- I honestly hate Batman voice in this film. I get why he do it, but they rely could find a better way to do it… It’s just so campy!
- They took away all the grotesque and mystic away from Batman character and to me, he don’t work as well without them.
- Gotham lost it’s charm… I honestly didn’t felt all the crime they where talking about.
- I hate editing in this movie. Some scenes are seriously to fast, and all that fast cutting and montage style rely spoil the fight sequences for me (the Tumbler sequence was still good). To me it killed all the suspance..
- People complain about how many changes Burton made from the comics, but if you look at the Nolan films he did as much, if not more : They turn Flass from a blond, good looking guy who serf in green marines or something, into a Fat-slob, They made Henri Ducardand Ras Al’Ghul into one character (I do like the fact that they ignore the Lazarus pit, I hate this thing). And isn’t Arkham meant to be a dark place behind the city? Over all – to me Begins have as many strange changes as Burtons films.
- It felt too James Bond at the moment. They made Lucius Fox some sort of Q…
- The whole deltaic story how Bruce go his costume, cape, training was fine when I first seen the movie, but at the second time it felt boring at the moments.
- The whole “Why do wee fall? Bla,bla,bla,bla” somehow come out to often. It felt like some rip-off of “With great power comes great responsibility”.
- The Wayne murder scene didn’t felt as half good as in Burton film. And what’s the deal with Bruce fathers speech?
- Honestly there weren’t much dark moments in this film.
- Speaking of fathers Bruce, you have a mother as well, you know? They talk about father all the time and I like that they give him some screen time, but the character of Martha Wayne felt seriously underdevelopment…
- Music wasn’t nothing special. It felt poor compeering to Elfman score.
- Is it good idea to have Bruce acting like a jerk during his playboy routine.
- With the exception of one (The monster-Batman) all hallucinations from Scarecrow gas where rely un-imaginative, not interesting and not scary!
- I actually don’t have any thing against Holmes and she made Rachel a sympathetic character, but she felt somehow forced in my opinion. It looks like Batman need to have a girl in every movie, either she brings something into the script or not.
- Nothing against actor again, but Alfred character didn’t fell he was done the way he’s suppose to be. He had two-or—three good lines… That’s all.
- I honestly hate Zszasz cameo, because he don’t look a think like Mr. Zszasz. To me that’s just a bad attempt of an in-joke. (I just prefer to act like it wasn't ment to be the same character)
To not sound so very critical, there where some moments are rely enjoy. I think it’s a good idea for Batman film, there where few memorable lines (- I swear to God, - Swear to me, - Stay come…You where poison), I love scenes of Bruce jail, and I love performance by Murphy, Nesson, Oldman or Freeman, but this film don’t have the gothic fell Burton movies had and had only 25% of the charm which I found in first Batman movies, and I think, they could done it much better.
I hope The Dark Knight will top this movie…Heck, maybe even Burton films, but as for Begins, it’s not worth to tie “Batman’s” and “Batman Retunr’s” shoes...
I honestly apologize if my review somehow offended some die-hear Nolan fans. This is just my opinion…