My Top Ten and beyond movie list.
This is my top ten movies ever. I'm weird, I know it and some of these choices are really strange but thats just me. I wanted to add movies from a wide range of movies too. Enjoy:
1. The Dark Knight-Duh! I loves me my comic books as well as great villains and this has both. Although I always liked Spider-Man more than Batman, The way they adapted the Joker for the Dark Knight is way more realistic and cool than any villain marvel has done so far. If the Green Goblin had his smurf hat I might have to reconsider but alas he didn’t. I’m also a huge Aaron Eckhart fan and he was almost as good as Heath Ledger in this.
2. The Two Towers-I had to include one of the LOTR movies, the big questions were what one and how high should I place it. I chose the second one because I think it was exactly what made LOTR such great movies. It had a battle as big as any we’ve seen ever, incredible performances by everyone involved, scenes of incredible bad-assery (pretty much any scene Legolas is in) and such a great emotional impact. I loved all three but will always remember Helms Deep.
3. Gladiator-Personally this is, in my opinion, the greatest Guy Movie ever made. Braveheart and 300 came close but they never really did. I mean this movie has blood, awesomely quotable lines and a great performance by Russel Crowe. I don’t know how it does it but this movie makes me cheer and cry at the same time.
4. Godzilla King of the Monsters-You always remember your first time right? Well this is the first monster movie I ever watched and I haven’t looked back since. This movie still looks amazing today, well compared to pretty much every other Japanese made Godzilla movie. It even had a great message to it and didn’t need shitty voice overs. I will always love the American Remake but at the end of the day, that was a giant lizard with flaming breathe destroying New York, THIS is Godzilla.
5. Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid-I considered Jaws, Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid but I just LOVE snakes. This movie features some realistic looking snakes eating people and though it never scared me, it always sends a chill down my spine. Before I get called an idiot, I’m the guy who loved Python, I still do and this movie does everything Python did but with believable Snakes, a better plot and cooler actors. I’m also a gore hound and this had just enough of it to make me smile psychotically.
6. The 7th Voyage of Sinbad-Man this is a movie that I would stay up until 2 am when I was like 12 to watch. Ray Harryhausen was a god in his day. This is the only movie I can remember to have both a sword fight with a skeleton and a Dragon fighting a Cyclops. Who doesn’t want to watch a Dragon fight a Cyclops?
7. Tommy Boy-While I love 40-year old virgin and any of Jim Carey’s early movies, Tommy Boy will always be the best comedy ever in my mind. Who doesn’t love funny fat guys, and Chris Farley may not be the fattest or even the funniest, he was the craziest. I actually think he was also a great actor, call me weird but he’s dumb, crazy, retarded and sweet in this movie. Road comedies don’t get any better than this.
8. Batman Mask of the Phantasm-I had to include an animated movie on this list and again in was Batman betting out a red super-hero. This time it was between this and Hellboy: Blood and Iron. Mark Hammil has the best Joker voice and the dark story in this movie propels it above any Disney or Pixar movie to date. But that’s just my opinion and at the end of the day I’ll always take comics over pop culture references and songs.
9. Hocus Pocus-Oh baby this is my favourite kids movie and an awesome Halloween movie. Maybe I’m just a big kid but I know everyone around my age feels the same way about this movie as I do. This was the movie to introduce me to Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker and it may have started my love of the occult.
10. Ferris Buellers Day Off-Might as well kick this list off with a movie that is so loveable that I haven’t heard one bad word said about it. Matthew Broderick is one of my favourite actors and this is easily his best movie. I remember watching this before I was in high school and taking notes. If you learn anything from this movie it’s that you never bet against Ferris.
• Trick r’ Treat-I really wanted to add this movie into my list but I just couldn’t. I think it’s a great movie and it’s going to a Halloween favourite of mine for years to come.
• Taken-I’m a guy which means I love my action movies and I AM 19 so I grew up watching Bruce, Arnold and Steven kick ass. This is my favourite action movie because it wasn’t trying to be Die Hard, as to why I like it more than Die Hard, well I just love hand-to-hand combat a little bit more than I love explosions.
• Coraline-Oh yay, I am a huge kid. I grew up with Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach so I instantly loved this movie. It is just so well made and it kind of gives me the creeps.
• Arachnia-Damn I love how bad this movie is! Holy crap it’s bad and I love every minute of it. “Well cut off my legs and call me stumpy!” indeed! This is the greatest midnight movie I own.
• You’ve Got Mail-I do have a soft spot for this movie because I watched every single time I was sick as a kid. I don’t know why it just always seemed to be around the house when I was home with a box of kleenix and a cup of tea. It had officially grown on me and still makes me smile.
• I do have to say that AVP deserves a shout out because for some reason it’s my Christmas movie. I just love it and watch it every at 5am every Christmas morning, it’s a tradition that I intend to keep.