Hello fellow spillios. MovieGoer830 here with a quick question for you. What are your favorite and least favorite Potter flicks and why? What were your opinions on them? Personally, Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite with Half Blood Prince close behind. My least favorite was Chamber of Secrets. Well, thanks for reading and have a nice day.
Favorite: Order; Yeah, I know they cut out quite a bit, but I still enjoy the hell out of it. The actress who played Umbridge completely nailed "passively evil bitch". Also, I know many probably disagree, but Order is MUCH better without Harry's constant whining and bitching. The angst overload in the book, while justified at times, honestly ruined the book for me.
Least Favorite: SS and Chamber are tied for this. Not bad for kids movies, but they are pretty hard to sit through years later.
I'll admit, it took me about three times watching Order of the Phoenix to actually like and appreciate it, but it grew on me. And I agree with you comletely that the actress was perfectly casted for the role of Umbridge. One thing that annoyed me was the Harry and Cho relationship. I just never liked Cho as a character.
The best Potter film so far I think was Half-Blood Prince, if anything for the way they give part of the film to the Malfoy character...and the actor did a very decent job with it. I almost wish they spent more time with him.
The WORST films by far and the one that invites RAGE from me is a tie. Both Prisoner and Goblet of Fire were utter SHIT as both films and adaptations of the books. Both were jarring, silly, MASSIVE plotholes and STUPID set pieces. Jesus, they had to make the world's stupidest's looking werewolf, cut out the World Cup COMPLETELY, the maze scene was lame and WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT FLYING TURD HARRY CALLED A BROOMSTICK?!? I am so ready to start beating people over those two films.
My favorite is now DH part1, followed by Half Blood Prince & POA. The worst, by far, is Goblet of Fire. I think that they raped that book. At least the 1st and 2nd movie were faithful to the books even if they were boring as shit.
I am going to go against the grain here and say my least favorite was Azkaban. It was one of my favorite BOOKS of the series hands down and I think that has something to do with why I do not like the movie. they skipped SO much character development in that film! just little things that made the book so much more enjoyable. like the fact that Harry Dad, Serius, Lupin and Wormtail MADE THE MAP! Harry had that connection with his dad, never mentioned. Lupin even said "the map never lies" how did he know it was a map? never explained. it was also never explained that his dad was an anamagus too and that is why Harry's Patronus takes the form of a stag. Little stuff like that that would have taken 2 extra minutes to explain piss me off. I also did not like how Lupin looked as a werewolf.
1.Goblet of Fire- They hit all the plot points i felt were important, great action, and a great dark tone
2 Deathly Hallows part 1- THis could take the number one spot if part 2 is just as good.
3. Prisoner of Azkaban- Awesome
4. Chamber of Secrets- same
5.Order of the Pheonix- Ignored so many plot points, but made up for it with the awesome battle between dumbledore and voldamort.
6.Socoerer's Stone- ?
7. Half Bood Prince- half of the film felt like fan fiction, and had an ending that felt if it was missing something. Oh yeah a giant battle.
1. Half-Blood Prince- The most emotionally satisfying of the films so far in my opinion. Very High Full Price.
2. Goblet of Fire- Like "Half-Blood Prince", it is a poignant and almost consistent study of the trials of adolescence as well as one of the darkest and most exciting installments of the series. High Full Price.
3. Deathly Hollows Part 1- A poignant and exciting installment that left me pumped for the final film. High Full Price.
4. Order of the Phoenix- Exciting, intoxicating, and exquisitely directed. Full Price.
5. Prisoner of Azkaban- A small cinematic pleasure that starts to show that the series is growing up with its characters. Full Price.
6. Chamber of Secrets- A highly entertaining installment that could have had a few things trimmed out and it wouldn't have done any harm. Low Full Price.
7. Sorcerer's Stone- An entertaining yet sometimes sort of bland first movie that is still a genuinely good film and a precursor to the smarter and richer pleasures to come in the later installments. Low Full Price.
Sorcerers Stone - It's enjoyable, but watching now feels a little awkward to me. Maybe it's the chipmunk voices and the acting skills of the kids. Still like it though.
Chamber of Secrets- I will go on a limb and say that I did not enjoy the book. I found it to be boring. The movie, however, was better and its the one that got me hooked into wanting to see the rest. However it's not my favorite.
Prisoner of Azkaban- This one is my personal favorite, despite its more-than-slightly-obvious plot holes. I think it's because this was when the movies were starting to get really dark.
Goblet of Fire- While this one was not my favorite movie, it was my favorite book. Still, it's a really great movie, despite all of the cuts they made.
By the way, when I asked people what they thought of Robert Pattinson as "Cedric" in this movie, a lot of them said he was ugly as well as a bad actor. When Twilight came out, most of those same people were praising his "great acting skills" and for how hot he is...
Order of the Pheonix - It was good, but I felt a little underwhelmed.
Half-Blood Prince- Eh, I'm indifferent towards this one. It's excellently acted and directed, but I just don't particularly care for it.
Deathly Hallows Part 1- If part 2 is as amazing as part 1 (yes, I'm going to count them together as one whole movie), I may just have a new favorite Harry Potter film!