I just finished reading Ultimatum for the first time, and honestly... I wish I hadn't.
It's really hard to believe what they did. How could they take a universe that was nearly flawless when it came to storytelling, and say; "You know what this needs more of? It needs more bullshit! It doesn't fit in with the rest of our comics!" It seems many writers believe that "epic" = "good". They think that if they just make a giant world-spanning story and kill off a whole bunch of main characters it somehow makes a satisfying conclusion. They didn't even think to make the story even a little good, they just wanted to make a GIANT event that comes of of nowhere and kills everybody so they can start over. All I have to say is "why"?
If Joe Quesada wanted an unmarried teenage Spiderman so bad, why did he kill the one that already was a teenager and screw up the timeline of the original universe by making him a teenager again? If this was an executive decision, why would they decide to end the universe more successful than the original story-wise? I can only think that is was a decision based on money. Maybe they just couldn't afford all these comics and wanted to end them so they could cut down production costs. Maybe the Ultimate Universe wasn't making enough money for them. Or maybe they thought there were too many good stories so they decided to make one huge crappy one to even it out. Either way, what they've done is upsetting, and I don't even read comics all that often.
Anybody else have thoughts about this event? If there is already a topic about this I apologize, I couldn't find one when I looked for it.
Well, apparently the Ultimate universe WILL continue, and Bendis will keep writing Ultimate Spiderman. He's putting on a face of excitement for what he can do now that it seems the slate has been wiped clean. I'm almost certain now that Spiderman is NOT dead after reading everything about it. For a while, some new guy will parade around as Spiderman, but I believe Peter is actually in some other dimension after his apparent "death" at the hand of the mumbo jumbo at Doctor Strange's house. Strange said Spiderman sacrificed himself, but never said he died. That explains why they never showed his death. He never died in the first place.
EDIT: It seems in Ultimate Spiderman: Requiem we find out Peter Parker is alive. At least not all is lost, right? Of course, now we have to deal with the fact that J Jonah Jameson is nice. Eeeew! Not only that, pretty much everybody near him knows he's Spiderman. How can word NOT get out with so many people knowing? We'll see, I guess. Hopefully Bryan Micheal Bendis can pull a good story out of his ass somehow, despite all the crap.
But still, here's a list of the confirmed dead from Wikipedia...
* Angel - Killed and partially eaten by Sabretooth. (Ultimatum #4)
* Beast - Drowned. (Ultimatum #1)
* Blob - Head bitten off by Hank Pym. (Ultimatum #3)
* Cannonball - Blown up by Madrox. (Ultimatum #3)
* Captain Britain - Blown up by Madrox. (Ultimate X-Men #100)
* Cyclops - Shot in the head by Quicksilver. (Ultimatum #5)
* Daredevil - Found dead by Spider-Man. Presumably drowned. (Ultimate Spider-Man #131)
* Dazzler - Drowned. (Ultimatum #1)
* Detonator - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land. (Ultimatum #3)
* Doctor Doom - Head crushed by the Thing. (Ultimatum #5)
* Doctor Strange - Killed by Dormammu after his body is constricted, causing his engorged head to explode. (Ultimatum #4)
* Emma Frost - Blown up by Madrox. (Ultimatum #3)
* Forge - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land. (Ultimatum #3)
* Franklin Storm - Drowned. (Ultimate Fantastic Four #58)
* Hard-Drive - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land. (Ultimatum #3)
* Hank Pym - Blown up by Madrox. (Ultimatum #3)
* Juggernaut - Hit in the eye by a poisonous dart shot by a Sentinel soldier. (Ultimate X-Men #99)
* Longshot - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land. (Ultimatum #3)
* Lorelei - Killed by Wolverine. (Ultimate X-Men #100)
* Madrox - Killed by Wolverine. (Ultimate X-Men #100)
* Magneto - Head blown off by Cyclops. (Ultimatum #5)
* Nightcrawler - Drowned. (Ultimatum #1)
* Polaris - Blown up by Madrox. (Ultimatum #3)
* Professor X - Neck broken by Magneto. (Ultimatum #2)
* Psylocke - Listed by Marvel as dead, though her death was never shown.
* Sunspot - Blown up by Madrox. (Ultimatum #3)
* Syndicate - Dead after one of his heads is blown off by William Stryker. (Ultimate X-Men #99)
* Thor - Surrendered his soul to Valhalla. (Ultimatum #3)
* Toad - Listed by Marvel as dead, though his death was never shown.
* Wasp - Partially eaten by the Blob. (Ultimatum #2)
* Wolverine - Killed by Magneto after the adamantium is ripped from his skeleton. However, one of his fleshless arms remained intact and was later recovered. (Ultimatum #5/Ultimatum X-men: Requiem.)
It's freakin' ridiculous! Even people like Toad died off-panel for no reason!
Ultimatum became everything that the Ultimate Universe wasn't supposed to be - Big, out of control, nasty, stupid, and "epic". Which they'd try to cover up by just throwing lots of unnecessary violence at it.
You know the only good thing to ever come out of the Ultimate books? Ultimate Spider-Man. Everything else sucks. Hard.