So I watched Man of Steel. Granted, some of these listed things are spoiler-ish, but I don't quite care. If you do, than don't read. Sure it's knit-picking, but it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. Personally, I thought the movie was quite a disappointment, and these are some of the things I noticed that didn't quite click with me while viewing it. So without delay, here ya' are.
- (1) Why do Kryptonians speak English on their native planet again?
- (2) How does Superman fly? I know it may seem like a knit-pick, but hear me out here; in nearly EVERY comic-book superhero movie, the superhero's strange NON-HUMAN/NOT NATURAL abilities are focused on for a bit, and explained in some sort of Fashion. In Spider-man movies, he has web-shooters. Humans can't shoot webs, but spiders can. Therefore, they spent both movies detailing it just enough in how the web-shooters work. Even Iron Man spends the beginning of the movie explaining how Tony Stark can make a suit from scrap metal and a couple of additional tools to give him the ability to protect himself and fly. It's detailed throughout the movie, so the viewer understands how this fictional idea works. The same for Captain America as well, and even Thor(which uses "magic" as it's excuse, but at least they outright say it, and move on.)
The problem with ALL Superman movies is they never describe how his NON-natural abilities(laser eyes, freeze breath, or the ability to fly are NOT natural to Kryptonians as well as humans, so one would assume we'd get more insight into how this works) ever work. In the previous movies it's fine, as it's assumed, and the science or technology of such is never really explained outright. I can accept that, if the writing/story doesn't lead me toward a scientific mindset.
However, in Man of Steel, they open the can of worms by attempting to explain his strengthened enhancements(super-strength, and durability) as an atmospheric and environmental change causing it. But that doesn't explain flight. Even if it was a dumb enough reason such as "telepathic control" or some bullshit, at least say something. Flying is Superman's most prominent and notable ability, so why not give some insight or a small one minute segment within the scene with Holographic Jor-El explaining to Cal-El how he can utilize this new power? Or tell him the suit gives him the ability to maintain flight with "anti-gravity" molecules...ANYTHING. But we don't get this.
I guess we just assume Superman can fly...just because. I suppose I'm an ass-hole for wanting my writing to be tight, when it enters the arena of science or logic.
- (3) Why are the delegates and others with their silly fucking hats, choosing to remain on Krypton when it's damn near about to explode(as well as choose to go through their drudgery of judiciary hearings for Zod and crew amid an apocalypse)? Also, why in the fuck would Zod choose to overtake a planet that is about to explode? Wouldn't it be wiser to gather allies from those on outpost planets he mentioned, rather than waste time on a doomed planet with doomed people?
- (4) How is it that these other Kryptonians died on these outpost planets? Were there zero resources to feed and survive off of there? If so, why would such an advanced Alien race be so fucking dumb as to send it's people there(seeing as how it's explained they died off without a home world, Krypton, to help them)? Even us Earthlings are planning to Colonize Mars, yet we understand that it'll be a one-way trip. Are we smarter than Kryptonians in that aspect?
- (5) I don't believe destroying the core of a planet would cause it to explode like a Super Nova. It would probably just break apart if viewed from space, due to plates inside the core losing it's gravitational pressure...(if the excuse is that they used equipment that could cause a Super Nova during the mining of their resources, what retarded race of beings would be that fucking dumb to use it on their own home planet?)
- (6) Phantom Zone....No, movie, that's not how Black Holes work...
- (7) Typical Russell Crowe: even as a scientist with vast intelligence, he still has to punch his way out of a tough spot
- (8) So...where does that red head ginger guy work again? Oh yeah, IHOP...because one advert insert isn't enough...*sigh*
- (9) Jesus Christ, that's enough adult Superman to young Superman flashbacks already...They may as well just have filmed the young Clark scenes in linear fashion, at the beginning of the movie, rather than insert it in certain parts. That type of thing works for characters with amnesia or blurry memories, but not this type of character.
- (10) Shaky cam, shaky cam, shaky cam...
- (11) Speaking of which, the Kents are discussing Clark's abilities in a car ride. Suddenly, a Tornado just happens. During the tornado, John goes back to the truck/car to get the dog....THE DOG...his family is safe in some way, but the dog needs savin'. Call me mean, but I'm glad that dumb-ass broke his foot and got sucked in by the tornado.
- (12) So, Superman tells Lois Lane to back up right before he launches away from her, to keep her safe from the force of his launch after saving her in the near destroyed city...This is about 2-3 scenes after he just drops her off near his mother's farm/corn-field, and as soon as he does so, he super-launches away from here, while being damn near chest to chest with this woman(btw, he does it several times when he's near other people, like that soldier, and they aren't affected by the force of the take-off....).
- (13) Thanks for reminding me that Hanz Zimmer is doing the music for this film, movie. I never would've guessed it while hearing blaring drums throughout the whole fucking thing...
- (14) For fucks sake, can we tone down the seriousness of this movie? It doesn't hurt to add a couple of goofy Clark scenes every once in a while to lighten things up. You know it's a bit of a problem when the BATMAN movies, movies centered on a darker character, have more humor than Superman.
- (15) Lois Lane is full of life, and pep. In Man of Steel, Lois Lane drones on when she narrates her articles, and maintains a relatively droll voice, unless in danger. Amy Adams was the perfect actress to be peppy and witty, yet I suppose the director doesn't allow her to be as such, for whatever reason..."No Amy, Serious Superman is Serious!!1!"
- (16) In one scene, Faora goes head to head with...well, who fucking cares, she's fighting someone, and she starts talking about how Evolution of species is why she wins, and those with morals and compassion for others are weaker and destined to die(or something). Because, it's not as though Science and Evolution have a hard enough climb with the general populous, what with 46% of Americans still believing in Creationism. Way to tack on the bull-shit rhetoric making Science/Evolution out to be the bad guys again, David Goyer. Cheers, that really fucking helps...
- (17) Zod emits a world wide signal to earth and all it's inhabitants, regarding who he wants. Therefore, it only stands to reason that while he's attacking Earth, only the American Military would be the one defending it....because it's not like the rest of the world and it's nations have any reason to defend their home planet, right? Us Yanks can handle it...Seriously, movie, can we at least try to drop some tired ass movie tropes?
- (18) When Superman surrenders, he first has a dialogue with the General/Colonel. Both are speaking in normal voices WITHOUT a loud speaker, while Superman is still about 30-50 feet away from him in mid-air.
- (19) Dear Superman, can you at least TRY to save some other bystanders, other than Lois Lane? That'd be great, thhannnkkss...
- (20) Now Zod knows how to fly...is flying just a thing that we think we CAN'T do? Lemme' try...*struggles*...nope, it's bullshit.
- (21) So when Cal-El/Superman decides to kill all those Kryptonian Matrix babies, I think we can say it's safe to assume he's NOT pro-life, right?
- (22) Cal-El: "Hey Jor-El,uh, eruh-I mean Dad. How is that I can fly again?" Jor-El: " It's easy, son. you just punch gravity with your fists...or throw a phone at it."
- (23) Ahh...another IHOP insert...
- (24) In one scene, Jor-El explains to Superman that he'll be the bridge between humans and kryptonians; except that the Kryptonians are now all practically dead....so much for that bridge, eh Jor-El?
- (25) Superman screams like a bitch to plead with and stop Zod while he used his Cyclops laser beams to attempt to destroy those idiots who are just standing in a corner(rather than run to the opposite side, where those stairs were...you know, where Lois Lane came down from.). I would think Sups would be able to put his arm in front of Zod's eyes, preventing them from getting hurt(seeing as how he's supposedly indestructible), giving those morons a chance to run. Sure it would hurt, but it would give them a moment to run, and whatever, he's Superman....he'll just walk outside, baske in the sun and heal himself...because...well...because Comic-Book logic, that's why, so fuck you. On a person note, I would've gripped Zod's balls in an Eagle Claw-like grip and made sure that fucker'd listen to me...but that's just me...
- (26) More than one person saw how Superman looks like, including a high ranking military official and a daily newspaper Editor-in-Chief. You're gonna' tell me not ONE person got a video of his face while he was battling Zod?...."WORLD STARRR!!!1!"
If any of you guys have any responses to some of these, or more to add, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for reading!