If it's crap ... We'll tell you
Ok not sure if this is the right place to put this or even if anyone will read it but hopefully someone will as this is my first review of any sort and any constructive criticism is welcome. This is just my quick thoughts on the 19 tracks in the standard edition of nicki minaj's new album.
1. Roman Holiday: This track starts of fun and is entertaining and intriguing at first however around 2 minutes in the song becomes tedious, incomprehensible garbage-5/10
2. Come On A Cone: Forgettable verses and an extremely annoying chorus make this an early contender for worst song on the album-3/10
3. I Am Your Leader: The features (Cam'ron & Rick Ross) sound great however Nicki, again delivers a forgettable verse. The chorus and beat are good however making this a fun track-8/10
4. Beez In The Trap: Nicki is extremely annoying on the chorus which is also repetitive and the verses are ok.The feature (2chainz) doesn't save this track, bringing in a verse which is average at best-5/10
5. HOV Lane: Not much to say about this one. The track has some interesting wordplay and good punchlines-7/10
6. Roman Reloaded: Nicki sounds good and so does Lil Wayne. His lyrics aren't great but there is some laughs in the verse and the beat is simple but nice-8/10
7. Champion: Nicki's verse is boring and the song has a stock chorus but it does have a nice,chill beat. Drake has a nice flow in his verse. Young Jeezy sounds really bad at the point of being incomprehensible. Nas comes in ok but nothing great or particularly memorable-6/10
8. Right By My Side: Stock love song. Incredibly average aside from the last verse from Nicki which is quite good and brings the song up a lot-6/10
9. Sex In The Lounge: Ok chorus and a forgettable verse from Nicki. Bobby V's "verse" is a mess and Lil Wayne is just ok-4/10
10. Starships: Nicki sounds her best here as the fun chorus and danceable beat make the poor lyrics forgiveable. That being said the attempt at a sort of dubstep break is laughable-8/10
11. Pound The Alarm: Another fun dance track with forgiveable lyrics as the beat is nice enough. Another failed "dubstep" dance break however-7/10
12. Whip It: Annoying accents from Nicki with repetitive and irritating lyrics. The beat and dance break are the saving grace of this track-6/10
13. Automatic: This is a really average run-of-the-mill forgettable song with barely no redeeming qualities- 3/10
14. Beautiful Sinner: Sounds the same as the track before so nothing to say really-3/10
15. Marilyn Monroe: Nice little piano beat. Average chorus but i don't really see the need for the constant reference to Marilyn Monroe and i also don't see the relation. Is this supposed to inspire me?-5/10
16. Young Forever: Cute little beat with a nice chorus. Overall this is a really nice song-7/10
17. Fire Burns: Don't like the beat at all really and the lyrics don't make much sense-2/10
18. Gun Shot: I have no idea what anyone is saying for the most part on this track but I like the song despite that fact. Its a relaxing song with a nice chorus and the featured artist (Beenie Man) sounds good aswell-8/10
19. Stupid Hoe- Another extremely repetitive song but this one is so bad it might actually be good-5/10
Overall I would give this album a 5.5/10. The first half is mostly hip hop and the second half is more pop. Nicki fans will like it but if you are a general music or hip hop fan(like myself) you will most likely only connect with a few tracks.
Please comment with recommendations or requests :)
I guess but both Kanye & Jay's verses weren't that good to begin with ...literally any rapper could have came in & out-shined them, her Monster verse is probably one of the most overrated verses in Hip-Hop.
That song gets plenty of praise, the Hip-Hop community was talking about that verse for weeks ......and yeah, her verse was cool.
This is all that needs to be said.
Yeah Nicki isn't perfect but if you listen to this and then think she's a talentless hack... well that's just silly.
That couldn't possibly be more wrong.
If it isn't, then MCs are truly a talentless, pathetic group of vacuous morons that anyone with any dignity or integrity as a musician would have disassociated themselves with long ago.
DICK IN YOUR FACE PUT MY DICK IN YOUR FACE
Just listened to it and I'm pretty much on the same page as you. Like Pink Friday, it's a really disjointed album. But it's a really lonnggggggggggg disjointed album. Roman Holiday is absurd fun, Come On A Cone is noteworthy (if only for the hilarious "DICK ON YOUR FACE" chorus) and Champion is a solid posse track but the rest is kinda meh. That being said, the electro pop rap tracks (Starships, Pound The Alarm) are really, really damn fun (also the breaks aren't really dubstep they take more influence in euro house and fidget house blahblahblahblah). But I give the credit not really to Nicki but to RedOne's incredible production.
Ultimately, if this album proves everything, Nicki's marketing team is still trying to put her in a box and she's just going with it hoping it will bring her success. The result is something that feels like two different albums mushed together and it's okay. But nothing that memorable.
I like it. But only a little bit.
ye i agree. havent really returned to it since the first few listens for the purpose of this review. and i just said dubstep as i think her team just thought that was the craze and that they would try to do something like that. Just bought wzrd by kid cudi and dot da genius and ill review that next (im ready for dissapointment). and i think dick on your face will be the next big meme haha
Didn't listen to the album but "Champion" came up on Hot 97 and I found myself enjoying it ...it's a great song tbh, I laughed hard at how raspy Jeezy's voice was.
lol, I'm a Jeezy fan but I don't know what he was thinking when he recorded that verse ....